Sewing and textiles with Ann
It started with the 6″ handles, as prescribed by the pattern and sourced from Minerva Crafts. The amber shade was the only variety of 6″ handle that I could find, and didn’t work with the earlier dark fabric that I used for this pattern. So then I needed some bright summery fabric that would work with amber handles, and I found it! Using the somewhat accidental two-sided approach that I used the last time that i made a bag, I needed something with a matching fabric in a totally contrasting colour, and i am really pleased with what I found. I travel quite a bit, and the English fields in May are really reflected in this bright fabric.
The inside is lined with the same patch work cotton, with a pocket in yellow on the green side, and the lower section is wadded to give shape. Love it!
BUT, 6″ handles do not fit into the space between the foot and the body of sewing machine, however many times I look at which way to sew the handles round the fabric. I had to stitch the fabric round the handles by hand. In fact, towards the end of the project there is quite a bit of hand sewing. This is not a problem, but it just didn’t seem so much the last time that I made this.
That’s it now. I have pretty much used up all of the yellow fabric. There is a bit of green left; probably enough for another glasses case or make up bag, but not both.
These are for a present, although the birthday isn’t until August, by which time the fields will look different again.