Sewing and textiles with Ann
The pattern is for a long cardigan, which although it would have been stylish, warm and trendy, would not have gone under many coats and thus limited its wearability. So I made a shorter version, ensuring that it went well with the jersey top previously made with this pattern.
The jersey has a small quilted texture, but isn’t super thick, as quilting would normally suggest. I got it from Barry’s during the SewBrum event, with this pattern in mind. However, I bought yardage for a long version.
Having then decided to make a shorter version, I therefore had enough fabric for a skirt as well. I made this one marginally longer than the first one.
Apart from twin-needling the jacket and sleeve hems, and hand stitching the skirt hem, I did all of it on the overlocker. Instead of setting in the sleeves, as per pattern instructions, I stitched the sleeve heads to the front and back by just pinning and then over-locking, and then combined the sleeve and side seams. I did the same when I made the top. Its much quicker, easier and I think, neater, but I would only do it with knits, using the stretch when stitching the sleeve head.
Although black is functional, its black! At one point my wardrobe had in it only one black item, and that was a pair of winter trousers. Now it has several which can be mixed and matched. In fact, the jacket will go well with my Coco dress, probably being easier on the eye than pairing it with its matching jacket. I have worn this a few times now, and I think that it looks surprisingly chic. I think the skirt length is just right, and it is very comfortable. I washed the cardie and was amazed how well it washed. It dried within a few minutes of coming out of the machine, and much as I like my iron, it absolutely doesn’t need it. It was straight on my back again within a couple of hours. Marvelous!