all my own work by ann

Sewing and textiles with Ann

A tale of two ……. very different garments!

Two very different garments, indeed! The only thing that they have in common is that they are made from the same fabric, and both are finished with rolled hems. I made the skirt with the intention that it would go with the top, but I doubt that I will ever wear them together – in whichever way I might chose to style them……

The fabric is a woven fabric from B&M in Leeds. Content unknown, but almost certainly manmade. Photo quality a bit poor, thanks to bright sunshine!

Drape front top from The Essential Collection by The Maker’s Atelier.

IMG_0781

I am seeking to get value from my book. This is the third item that I have made. The other two, here and here, are in regular use.

There are so many options for the drape front top. My original intention was to find some thin jersey and go for the double layered version. I bought yardage to suit, expect that this is woven fabric, and thus suited to a single layered top. I was a bit shocked when I read the instructions for the woven version, to leave raw edges. What? No chance.

It took me 40 minutes to make this top, and thus I think it gets the award for the quickest make ever, and that was with finished edges. It might even have included the time to change the overlocker thread! So I used a rolled hem on the overlocker for the neckline, the sleeve edges and the hem, and then overlocked the side seams – in that order. Done!

My waist is usually a size bigger than the bust, and I adjusted accordingly, but I think I  will revert to the bust size throughout for another make.

I think this is probably a holiday top, and hoping it will not suffer too much from crushing in a suitcase.

So I could make a matching skirt with the remaining fabric. This is very much a pattern hack, based on a basic A-line skirt, but with a gathered flounce at the lower section.

I used B4461 for the base, cutting off the design at the middle tier line. I lengthened this section by 2 cm.

Then the clever bit; getting the flounce just the right length and curvature for a gathered layer. I referred to B6203 for assistance.

Image result for Butterick 6203

I have never made this pattern, but I have used it as a point of reference for skirt designs on more than one occasion. I basically measured the length of the flounced pattern pieces to work out what additional percentage was added to the length to accommodate the gathers (Answer 20%) and then used my dressmaker’s curve to extend the curvature of the bottom section of the A line pattern accordingly. Well, the theory has worked out fine.

IMG_0782

I nearly always line skirts, instead of using a facing, and this was no exception. Not only does a lined skirt hang better, but it wears better as well. I have found with a couple that I chose not to line, that they tend to mis-shape with wear. With this fabric, there was also a danger of the skirt being see-through without a lining.

Sew, two completely different garments, as it turns out, for about £10. Although easy-ish to sew, I don’t think that the fabric is going to be easy care. It creases in a sort of ‘Diana’s wedding dress’ sort of way i.e. really, it was meant to crease like that!

And if you didn’t see my last post, here is the handmade straw hat with the matching band.

Straw hat 2

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: